State Individual Wrestling Tournament
COACHES/CHAPERONES DO NOT BRING CHILDREN (OF ANY AGE, INCLUDING INFANTS) WITH YOU TO THE TOURNAMENT. THEY WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN AT CHEER DOOR. NO EXCEPTIONS!
EACH QUALIFYING SCHOOL MAY HAVE SIX CHEERLEADERS AND ONE COACH/CHAPERONE ADMITTED FREE AT THIS ENTRANCE FOR EACH SESSION IN WHICH THEIR WRESTLERS COMPETE (NO MASCOTS). IF YOUR SCHOOL ONLY HAS 4 CHEERLEADERS AND 2 COACHES YOUR SCHOOL WILL ONLY RECEIVE 4 CHEERLEADER AND 1 COACH WRISTBANDS. NO TICKETS WILL BE SOLD AT THE CHEERLEADER ENTRANCE! NO ADDITIONAL CHEERLEADERS, ADDITIONAL COACHES, MANAGERS, MAT GIRLS, BUS DRIVERS, OR CHILDREN OF ANY AGE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ENTER AT THIS ENTRANCE! INJURED CHEERLEADERS MUST ADHERE TO SAME RULES AS TO BE ADMITTED FOR FREE AND WILL BE COUNTED AS ONE OF YOUR SIX WRISTBANDS AVAILABLE. INELIGIBLE CHEERLEADERS WILL NOT BE ADMITTED.
- THE ONLY ENTRANCE cheerleaders and cheerleading coaches/chaperones will be admitted in free-of-charge will be the designated “Cheerleader Entrance” on 3rd street, under the skywalk. This door will open 1 ½ hours before each session, which is the same time the spectator doors open. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE GRANTED!
- DROP OFF FOR CHEERLEADERS: For the cheerleaders’ safety, coaches NEED TO USE THE DROP OFF LANE ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE ROAD (by HyVee Hall) to drop cheerleaders off. CHEERLEADERS NEED TO USE THE CROSS WALK TO CROSS THE STREET at the corner. PLEASE instruct your cheerleaders to do this for everyone’s safety. The Des Moines police do not want cars stopping in traffic to drop off cheerleaders at the cheer entrance. Please respect this request as it is via the DM Police Department.
- Cheerleaders and their coach MUST enter through the Cheer Entrance for each session. Cheerleaders must undergo a safety check before each session and before they will be allowed admittance to the main floor in the arena.
- All cheerleaders and coaches/chaperones will receive a security wristband when they enter the arena. The wristband allows them access to the floor where wrestling is occurring and the spectator area. New wristbands will be issued each day of the tournament so different cheerleaders can cheer on different days of the tournament and a different coach/chaperone can accompany them. On days of multiple sessions, a wristband can be exchanged by making arrangement with IHSAA staff prior to leaving the arena from the first session, it will then be cut off and exchanged when the new cheerleader or coach returns for the second session. WRISTBAND MUST BE WORN ON THE WRIST AND MUST BE TIGHT ENOUGH NOT TO COME OFF! ONLY THE CURRENT WRISTBAND OF THE CURRENT SESSION MUST BE ON THE WRIST!
- ONLY THOSE CHEERLEADER(S) (maximum 6) IN A BONA-FIDE, SCHOOL ISSUED OR APPROVED CHEERLEADING UNIFORM, AND ONE CHEERLEADING COACH PER SCHOOL, WHO HAVE A WRESTLER(S) COMPETING IN THE FINALS WILL BE GIVEN A WRISTBAND FOR FINALS AND BE ALLOWED TO SIT IN THE FREE SEATING AREA. All others MUST have a ticket and sit in the spectator area. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE GRANTED!
- NO SPECTATORS (ADDITIONAL COACHES OR COACHES’ CHILDREN) WILL BE ALLOWED ON THE FLOOR OF THE ARENA!
- The cheerleading coach, chaperone, or school administrator MUST check-in at the cheerleader entrance and MUST STAY with the cheerleaders until they have been through the ICCA safety check. THEY ARE STILL RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CHEERLEADERS IF THEY LEAVE THE AREA. We expect this person to sit with the cheerleaders in the designated area.
- A cheerleading room, with a restroom, will be provided on the floor level, however, we encourage cheerleaders to come to all sessions of the tournament already in uniform, ready to cheer. Cheerleaders are responsible for their own valuables and NO VALUABLES SHOULD BE LEFT IN THE CHEERLEADING ROOM AT ANY TIME! NO CHEER ROOM IS AVAILABLE FOR FINALS.
- NO pillows, pillow pets, stuffed animals, or blankets are allowed. Leave these articles at home or in the bus. People with these objects will take them to the vehicle before the team will be allowed in for a safety check.
- We recommend NO BIG BAGS and NO BOOTS as they take up too much space in the cheer seating area. Come as ready as you can to EVERY SESSION. A small backpack would be allowed if necessary (except for Finals where no bags are permitted). All bags must fit under the seats and not be in the walk areas or on empty seats. This includes the walk area in the rows of seats.
- Cheer Coaches – Please talk to your squad about NOT removing jackets and/or pants when they get to the safety check area from receiving wristbands. They should wait until they are IN the locker room. This is for two reasons:
- The space is crowded with teams getting safety checks, workers, wrestlers, and coaches moving through. There isn’t room for teams to just stop and do this. This INCLUDES taking off jackets!
- This is an IHSAA and ICCA request. There are many males in the area. We will NOT say it is okay to just strip in this area when males are walking through. The belly check already makes many males and females feel uncomfortable. We will not add to it with cheerleaders lifting their skirts and pulling their pants down. Please do this IN THE LOCKER ROOM, not in the safety check area, OR the hallway to the locker room. This is done in respect of the female body. PLEASE RESPECT this request.
- THERE IS NO CHEER ROOM FOR FINALS. Cheerleaders are required to come in ready to cheer (MUST be in uniforms with hair, nails, etc.) No big bags are allowed.
- The Iowa Cheerleading Coaches’ Association will monitor the cheerleaders at the State Wrestling Tournament to see that NFHS/IHSAA/ICCA rules ARE followed. Cheerleading coaches will also be asked to sign a written statement of compliance indicating they understand the rules. Schools will be notified if their cheerleaders do not follow these rules and they may be prohibited from cheering at the tournaments if rules are violated.
- ALL National Federation Rules and the IHSAA/ICCA rules will be followed.
- APPAREL- Participants shall wear an official school-issued cheerleading uniform while cheering. An official school issued uniform for high school cheerleaders is a combination of skirt, top, and sleeves that are actual cheerleading garments made/constructed of school colors which were purchased for the activity of cheerleading. Yoga pants, shorts, jerseys, and T-shirts are not considered official school issued cheerleading uniforms. SHOES- Cheerleaders are expected to wear athletic footwear meant for cheerleading. It does not have to match. Wrestling shoes, canvas shoes, sneakers, gymnastic shoes, dance shoes, and casual tennis shoes are not considered athletic. These will not be allowed. Please do not tie ribbons or other items to shoestrings.
- ALL JEWELRY IS PROHIBITED, except religious or medical medals which must be taped to the body under the clothing. Covering jewelry with clothing or tape does NOT make it legal. Plugs in piercings must be removed; they are not legal.
- PINS, BUTTONS or CORSAGES ARE PROHIBITED while cheering.
- FINGERNAILS MUST BE KEPT SHORT. When extending the fingers and looking at the palm of the hand, the fingernails should not be visible.
- HAIR MUST BE SECURED away from the face and eyes and off the shoulders, such as in a ponytail. Hair CANNOT touch the shoulders. Bump its and sock buns are NOT legal! Artificial flowers and beads woven into the hair are not legal. HAIR SHOULD NOT BE CHANGED AFTER THE SAFETY CHECK. By doing so, if the hair is found in violation, the wristband may be taken for the remainder of that session or tournament. Please see Clarifying the Hair Rule for examples of legal and illegal hair.
- Cheerleaders should not wear false eyelashes since wearing them does not promote an athletic image.
- NO GLITTER is allowed on the face, hair, or uniform.
- TUMBLING OR STUNTING is prohibited at the state wrestling tournaments.
- NO CAMERAS OR CELL PHONES are allowed in locker room area to respect everyone’s privacy. Cheerleaders may not have cell phones, cameras, etc. mat side, which includes stuck in the uniform, when cheering. The wristband may be taken if a cheerleader is not complying with this rule.
- CHEERLEADERS SHALL NOT POUND OR STRIKE THE MAT DURING A PINNING SITUATION. The mats are to remain flat on the floor.
- CHEERLEADERS ARE NOT TO CHEW GUM OR HAVE CANDY IN THEIR MOUTHS WHILE CHEERING. If caught they will be removed from cheering and the wristband will be taken for the session.
- SUPPORTS AND BRACES THAT HAVE BEEN ALTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL DESIGN MUST BE PADDED.
- Cheerleaders must sit around the mats in the areas designated by the mat supervisors. This is for the safety and welfare of the contestants and cheerleaders during the tournament.
- IHSAA policy prohibits the display of any banners or signs, as well as the use of confetti or any other form of paper or debris. Please share this information with your spectators and fans. BALLOONS are not allowed in any circumstances.
- No COOLERS maybe be brought in for wrestlers or personal use.
- Reserved Seating for cheerleaders and their coaches/chaperones during sessions 1-7 will be directly behind the Head Table and requires a wristband. Please sit only in this reserved section of seating.
- A SEATING AREA WILL ALSO BE PROVIDED DURING THE FINALS FOR THOSE CHEERLEADERS WITH WRESTLERS COMPETING IN THE FINALS ONLY. At the Finals, coaches may NOT save seats for cheerleaders while they are cheering. Cheerleaders need to be seated in our designated area. It will be normal to not sit together as a team at first. As people leave for home, seats will open and teams will then be able to sit together.
- There are other events in downtown Des Moines including HyVee Hall this year. Come early as parking will be difficult. Be aware some parking ramps DO NOT take a debit/credit card.
- RESPECT others-including other cheer squads and/or individuals.
- AGAIN, THERE IS NO CHEER ROOM FOR FINALS. Cheerleaders are required to come in ready to cheer (MUST be in uniforms with hair, nails, etc.) No big bags are allowed.
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THESE REGULATIONS MEANS THE CHEERLEADER(S) WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO CHEER AT THE TOURNAMENT!